Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

I have two teenaged daughters and our relationship has been

I have two teenaged daughters and our relationship has been all but non-existent since the seperation between their Father and myself. Despite many efforts to talk with them and to try and see them, they are unwilling to do so. I do have joint custody and am going to court to get the court orders to be followed. What else can I do??
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Once you are able to actually have the court orders enforced and you have your daughters, if they still will not talk to you then do something with them that you know they will like each time you have custody of them without trying to force them to talk. For example, if you know that they would like to see a movie, take them to see a movie. Continue to do things they like without trying to force them to talk (-since they won't talk until their ready to anyway). As you continue to do things with them which they enjoy, then eventually they should open up to you and talk with you. Especially, as they once again become comfortable being with you the time will come when they will actually talk to you again. The divorce without question is devestating for them and they may even be angry at you or blame you for it, however, remember, right now the goal is to get your daughters to be comfortable with you so that they will actually talk to you and once again resume a healthy relationship with you.

Edited by Angela (M. A. in Community Psy.) on 6/13/2010 at 5:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, so I am on the correct path.. Thanks Angela

Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome and good luck with your daughters....continue to be patient and strong even though it's not easy to do so be sure to have a support system in place for yourself.