Dr Rossi
Dr Rossi, Licensed Psychotherapist
Experience:  Certified Hypnotherapist, Author, 13+years of experience.
19260254

I LOVE MY MOM VERY MUCH AND I HAVE HAD BYPOLAR FOR 26 YRS.SHE

I LOVE MY MOM VERY MUCH AND I HAVE HAD BYPOLAR FOR 26 YRS.SHE IS VERY CONTROLING AND GIVES ME VERY LITTLE ATTENTION OR PRAISE.
I WANT TO HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP BEFORE SHE DIES.DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO--I HAVE HAD A VERY PAINFUL RELATIONSHIP WITH MY MOM.

Good Evening,

Your mother may have some issues of her own. Perhaps she is not capable of giving you what you need because she does not know how to versus deprive you of it volitionally.

If she had always been like this, what may be more healing to you is to perceive her for what she is, accept her own limitations, acknowledge her for who she is and try to change your own expectations and feelings.

Some people (even a parent) are ignorant, have unresolved issues and some do not care to admit to their shortcomings. You may be setting yourself for disappointment if she can not give you what you desire because she herself had never had that in her own life.

When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life (Paperback