Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

Can a man aged 53 truly be in love with a 21 year old girl We

Customer Question

Can a man aged 53 truly be in love with a 21 year old girl?
We met online in June, she lives in Canada, I in Los Angeles, Ca. I'm divorced, no kids for over 20 years. Beside spenting everyday on the phone, we have visited each other at least 10 days or more each month since we've known one another, she's had me believing she was 23, but recently I discovered (from her father) she turns 21 in June! I already felt that it was never going to last but now I'm feeling even worst as far as a real future goes. Yet she's madly in love with me. I do love her as well but wonder if it's selfish to continue or should I just enjoy the happiness that we have and not think so much?.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Yes it is possible for the two of you to be in love in spite of your age difference. When you fall in love it happens naturally and is not based upon one's age. Additionally, there could be substantial differences in the things that you each like given your age difference, however, as with any couple these are things you can also work through. If you both are truly in love with each other then it is not selfish. However, both of you should discuss any concerns you each may have pertaining to your age difference and decide on compromises to any problems arising. The compromises should be compromises which you both can feel good about. Here is an article that is helpful in further dealing with age difference in a relationship. Click here.