How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Paige Your Own Question
Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1427
Experience:  Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Dr. Paige is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. Here is what happened. I met a girl and started chatt

Customer Question

Hello. Here is what happened. I met a girl and started chatting with her so that I got some approach to her. She has this mental or physical problems of which I am not too sure what they are (eating disorder is one and nervious problems and she told me she has to take some type of medication). The thing is that my dad was so angry at her and me because he didn't want us to date, that he started to send emails to her and her father telling them what he tought she was to him. There were no threats, just straight to the point of what she is to him and things like that. About 6 months later the girl's father tells my dad he wants $8000 to avoid doing a "penal sue" (I'm translating from Spanish) because the girl is going to a psiquiatric and whatever she is doing of which we have no proof. He gave us time to pay until this Thursday and will not let us talk to his daughter. Any advice or suggestions? Is this possible to do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 7 years ago.
Basically, anyone can sue anyone for anything, it doesn't mean they are going to win, though. If your dad didn't actually send any threats, I wouldn't worry about paying the money. Let the girl's father do things the hard way. Although, depending on how many emails were sent by your father, it could be considered harassment. The best thing to do in this case would be to consult with a lawyer, just to be sure. Many of them will do free consultations and will give you some legal advice to steer you in the right direction. :-) Good luck with everything!
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 7 years ago.
Please remember to press the accept button so that I get credited for answering your question... Thanks!