Angela
Angela, Counselor
Experience:  n/a
25365872

I met someone on a dating site a few months ago, he is very

Customer Question

I met someone on a dating site a few months ago, he is very sweet and we have a lot in common, he emails me every day without fail.. He is divorced and has 2 children from his previous marriage. I am 38 years old and would love a child of my own. I dont know if he wants any more children, it is not something we have ever discussed, i dont feel i can as i havent know him long and we havent even met yet. I hope this doesnt sound ridiculous, i just dont want to waste my time if he doesnt want to have children as i do but dont feel i can bring the subject up. What if he feel she has done all that, or maybe because im 38 and havent had a child so far maybe he thinks i dont want one. I would appreciate some advice. Many thanks
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Angela.
I am more than happy to assist you with your questions by giving you my honest and respectful opinion.

Based on what you have written, I would recommend enjoying your interactions with this gentleman as they currently are without thinking too much about the future. I understand that you do not want to waste your time if he doesn't want to have kids, however, think about this: What if this person is the right person for you down the road as your relationship develops, but because of your concern of wasting your time you ask him about kids and it scares him off because he is still getting to know you and 2 months is not a long enough time to really get to know someone? Also, please be aware that there are many relationships which start off with one person stating he doesn't want to have any more kids, however, down the road when he falls madly in love with his partner he changes his mind and decides to have more children. For reasons such as the above, this is why I recommend not thinking too much about the potential future with this gentleman and to focus on getting to know him better and to enjoy your relationship as it currently is developing. Once you both get to know each other better and you are comfortable with discussing the subject of children with him, do it at that time.