How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angela Your Own Question
Angela, Counselor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 681
Experience:  n/a
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Angela is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do... I joined an account with a guy I was dating.

Resolved Question:

What can I do... I joined an account with a guy I was dating. I broke off the relationship and he went to the account and took all the money except 608.00. I had my income tax money in there and what was left was 1712.00 of my money. Now he gave me a tv and money to get my car fixed I gave him money to, but never did I ask him for anything. Now he won't give me my money and this is the first of the month
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Hello J,
Based upon what you have written, if you want him to have no futher access to your funds I recommend immediately contacting the place where the joint account is held and removing your portion of the funds (-if any remains in the account) and then removing your name from the account. Also, stop any and all direct deposits, credit cards associated with the account that are in your name, etc. if you have any associated with the account. Many agencies require you to go in person in order to have your name removed from an account. After you remove your name from the account, re-open a brand new one in your name if you would like to have another account. Also, because it is a joint account with both of your names, it will be tough to prove anything one way or the other as far as him taking money that he was not supposed to, however, you may still document this by filing a police report if you choose to in order to have it documented legally. You may also consider taking him to small claims court only if you deem it financially worth it to do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can have a print out of all transcation history from the bank. Because I don't have a card I went and drew money out 2x since the account was opened. I have proof of all the gifts and everything he has given me. I'm in a lost of words cause never did I think this would happen. Would it be worth me going to court over


Expert:  Angela replied 7 years ago.
Hello J,
It would depend on how much the total filing fees would be for you to go to small claims court versus the amount of money taken by the guy in question; once you have the filing fees information then you could determine if it would be worth it. Here is a link that I give to my clients who are dealing with similar situations, the link will provide you with additional information about small claims court, click here:
Angela and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you