Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Counselor
Experience:  PHD LPC
14832673

my boyfriend is 28 and i am 33, we seem compatible..but im

my boyfriend is 28 and i am 33, we seem compatible..but im worried with time we can have an age issue, could i be right?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Age issue in that you are a few years older? I don't believe that in todays world five years makes that much difference. There are people out there who have more of an age difference who don't have age related issues....the only caution I have is that he is still in his 20's and sometimes that fact alone means he may not be as mature as if you were say 33 and 38. I believe that there are issues all couples have in marriage so I wouldn't worry about age. Just make sure your lines of communication stay open. If you have a good relationship now there is no reason to expect problems
I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but when im forty he will only be 35, i will at 40 have a different mind set, especially because i am a woman, right?
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
If you have a good relationship and you are both well suited for each other then it doesn't matter whether you are 40 - 50 or 60!
If you have good communication, respect each other, don't "smother" each other as well as share values and goals age is, just a number. Sure for a woman 40 seems to be a pivotal point but that is because society, the media and just about everyone with an opinion makes a big deal out of age. Your concerns are probably based on what is dictated by society. What is making you so insecure about the age difference? Think about where you "learned" these insecurities. If you never saw a TV, never read a magazine and didn't have a clue how old he was would you still be worried? There are people who are 40 who seem 60, as well as people who are 40 who seem 20....so your mind set is just that..your mind set . Don't make age a basis for enjoying a full life with someone. You make the relationship what it is. I hope this helps!
Dr. Keane