Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

I met someone online and they are already in love with me.

I have not met them...
I met someone online and they are already in love with me. I have not met them in person yet. What do I do?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/13/2009
Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast

What are your ages?

How long ago did you meet this person online? (I'm assuming you are female)

Do you communicate often, through email and phone?

Has he told you in actual words that he's in love with you?

Do you live in different places, so meeting in person would be difficult? Have you discussed meeting in person?

How do YOU feel about him?

Thanks for all your additional detail.

Cher
we are 45 and 50 we met about a few weeks ago. we communicate mostly by e-mail he has said to me he loves me we live in different places. I happen to love him also.
we are 45and 50. we met afew weeks ago. we mostly chat through e-mails.he has told me that he is in love with me.we live in different places. I really llove him too.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Please be careful and move slowly with this relationship. Meeting people online can be a wonderful thing, but can also be a scary thing.

Let's look at this logically, although emotions and 'hearts' are involved: do you think it's truly possible to be in love with with someone, and to have them be in love with you, after knowing them for only a few weeks, not meeting them in person, and primarily chatting through e-mails?

I've experienced this situation, so I can advise you based on my experience. You both 'think' you may be in love with each other because you find you have a lot in common, you find each other sweet, caring, loving, nurturing and you have someone to talk to about everything, who is not judging you.

While it's very possible that you may *feel* you're both in love with each other, what you're feeling right now, is being in love with the 'idea' of love, which you both are seeking and want/need in your lives, right now.

After you are able to speak more extensively on the phone, meet each other in person, and spend quality time together, you can decide if you love each other and/or are IN love with each other.

Right now, take it slowly; get to know each other better, enjoy and revel in the thought that you feel he loves you and you feel the same, but don't do anything silly like making any commitments or promises. It's much too early on in your relationship.

Another thing about meeting people online is that they can say they are whomever they want to be. I'm sure you feel you have no reason to distrust him, as he seems very genuine and honest and what reason would he have to lie to you? BUT (big BUT), unless and until you can be sure he is who he says he is, and everything he tells you is true, you really have no cause to believe anything he tells you is true. You can have a background check done on him, online (there's usually a fee), to see if he really is who he says he is and all the details about his past are real and true. I'm only begging you to slow it down and be aware of everything you're doing, because I've been in this situation myself, and learned from my experience.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble of happiness; I'm thrilled for you if you're happy and he makes you happy--continue to be happy, just weigh everything carefully, try to let a little 'logic' in here, with the emotions, and proceed with caution.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you would like to discuss this further.

Cher
Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Cher
Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast