Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

Can a minor (under 18) stay with a legal adult (18) in a hotel

Customer Question

Can a minor (under 18) stay with a legal adult (18) in a hotel in California?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

What is the relationship between the minor and the 18 year old?

For what purpose will they be staying in the hotel?

Thanks for your additional details.
Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the minor is 17 & the adult is 21
we are friends
we are from india & we are students in a flying school which is not providing us accommodation..
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

As long as the adult is 21, it's alright for you to stay in the hotel in California.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry i just want to verify that are you sure that any california law does not stop a minor to stay wit a adult..
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

There is no law prohibiting a minor from staying with a legal adult in a hotel in California; however if the legal adult is not the legal guardian of the minor, they will need the consent of the legal guardian.
I'm assuming this consent was already given when the minor was permitted to travel to the US from India.

It is illegal in California for a legal adult to have sexual relations with a minor under 18, I just wanted to make you aware of that.

I hope this helped.

Cher