Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
1470369

I have been in a relationship for 18 yrs. ended badly and then

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship for 18 yrs. ended badly and then he lead me to believe he wanted to work things out. we have 3 children and he has not paid child support or anything else(insurance, loans etc.) for the last year. The children and I have been very hurt and confused. I need some advice
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer and thanks for your question.

Were you married?

Are you currently living together?

Why did the relationship end?

How old are the children?

Have you spoken to any agencies regarding the child support, etc.?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We were not married, we are not currently living together. Ended due to what I think is a midlife crisis on his part. We got into a huge fight which ended up having the police called, nothing physical occurred though. The only thing that is not in my name was our home, everything else was/is. The children are 17, 17 and 16. The support is in non-enforcement status, as we were living together and he was working and supporting us for 16 years. 2 years ago is truly when he last worked.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information about your situation.

I'm sorry you and the children had to go through this difficult situation, and you certainly don't need the financial aspect weighing heavily on you now, as well. If you see no way that you would reconcile, then it would be best for you to take legal action to require him to pay child support and for the other outstanding debts the family has incurred. A local lawyer will be able to help you with this, being most familiar with the laws in your State.

I'm sure you are continuing to provide a stable environment for the children, and unless they don't want anything to do with him, it would be best if they continued to see him/have contact with him, as he is their father and should be part of their lives.

I wish you and the children much good luck in the future.

Cher