How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 21446
Experience:  Extensive experience as Educator/Teacher, M.A., Counselor, Spouse, Parent, Psychic Advisor
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was widowed several years ago. Feeling alone, I asked a

Customer Question

I was widowed several years ago. Feeling alone, I asked a female friend, which I had known for many years, to move in with me. She was down on her luck and was about to become homeless. She had no assets, but had family and friends locally. Our relationship has become tense lately and I was thinking of asking her to leave. Can she claim any of my assets under "Common Law"?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

My belated condolences on the loss of your wife.

Your friend can most likely not claim any of your assets under 'common law', especially if you were together less than 7 years and everything is in your name, only. However, you'd have to consult a local attorney to find out for sure, especially if she threatens you with this claim.

It's a shame things didn't work out, but if you feel it's time to ask her to leave, you need to do what's best for you, at this time.

I wish you much good luck!

Cher and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you