Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

what does it mean when somebody say you are beautiful, it

Customer Question
what does it mean when...
what does it mean when somebody say "you are beautiful, it just takes a while to see it" "you are not a classic beauty. you have a unique look"
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Relationship
4/27/2009
Counselor: KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert replied 8 years ago
KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
Customer

It may mean that he thinks that you are a beautiful person inside and out but didn't notice how beautiful until he got to know the person you are, it may also mean that you are not the type to stand out like to wear alot of makeup or dress up and that you have a natural beauty that not everyone notices until they get to know you and then they realize that you are beautiful inside and out.

i think it's more of the outter look. he said that I have an exotic look. not a classic one. what could this mean
Customer

He may be talking about the whole package your hair, your facial feature are not like any other woman's the classic look is blonde hair skinny body model types if your look is different from that, that may be what he meant. Maybe your lips are fuller or you are olive complexion or you have more curves. That is usually what exotic means, that you stand out from a crowd.

I'm chinese and I dont look very chinese. He always says I look like a mix. and that I caught his eyes because I look unique. I'm just shocked when he said that. I know it's a compliment but it just seem weird when somebody says that to you.

He says "pretty girls are pretty girls. they get by fast"
Customer

There are many Chinese people that don't look Chinese like Chinese/Americans that are born to a Chinese mother and American father they don't look like they are Chinese but they look unique from everyone else. I wouldn't take it the wrong way it's always good to be unique. If we all looked like it's would be a boring world we would live in.

He's my boyfriend now. I'm just wondering what he meant. He just said that I look unique. and that i'm not 'generically' pretty.
he gave an example of fuller lips, olive complexion, etc.
could you give an example of who would you describe as an exotic beauty?
Customer

There are many people that are exotic looking Halle Barry, Jessica Alba, Mariah Carey they are all exotic looking even thought they are beautiful they stand out as looking unique that is why you won't find anyone looking like them. Most beautiful have to try too hard to be pretty like wear alot of makeup, dress up all of the time, some even get plastic surgery to look prettier. Most exotic women can go without makeup and still look good. I think an Exotic woman doesn't have to wear alot of makeup to look a certain way it's just genetically in them like laying out to get a tan or going to a tanning booth.

i'm just not sure if he finds that attractive. He finds me not 'cookie cutter' pretty and he said that some ppl might not always find that beautiful.
Customer

Then you should ask him to clarify what he meant if it's bothering you, it's better to ask question than to worry yourself needlessly about what he meant by what he said, I think cookie cutter pretty is like a model or star. Cookie cutter cute is the norm model type cute. He is right some people liked the glamored out cute rather than a natural beauty or unique beauty.

I asked him ..that's why I included quotes from him. they were his answers
Customer

I can only assume since I don't know his thinking, he may not have a way with words and there for his word can be taken the wrong way or taken in a confused way. Only he can clarify unique and exotic. Exotic means: of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized. I really think he means your features are not the norm and tha the likes it but some people like that blondes that look alike and have the same features.

thanks kimberly. I will pay you later. in the mean time, I'd like to ask for another opinion?
Counselor: Cher, Relationship Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast
Hello again,Customer It's good to hear from you again.

I'm glad to hear that the man you spoke about, is now your boyfriend.

I agree with Kim, that 'cookie cutter' pretty is a certain type of look, as in models who are all blonde blue-eyed, pretty, but nothing 'exotic', unique, or 'stand-out'; yes, what society (well, American society) usually considers 'classically pretty', but not anything super-terrific.

When you asked who might be considered an exotic beauty, re: olive skin and full lips, the first one who comes to my mind, is Catherine Zeta Jones. Also, going back a little further in time, and if you're younger, you probably won't recognize the names, but Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren.

http://www.starpulse.com/Actresses/Zeta-Jones,_Catherine/
http://www.geocities.com/raquelwelch2/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000047/mediaindex

I think, in this case, as long as HE finds you attractive, due to your exotic and unique non-cookie-cutter look, that's all that matters, and remember, he also knows your inner beauty, so he's looking at you as a 'complete' person and finds you beautiful inside and out! : )

Cher
Yeah you are right. I'm just an overall self-conscious person. I have gorgeous parents and brothers. and I love them to death. My mom is VERY beautiful. It's just that sometimes, there are people who would make comment like "how come your brothers are cute and you..(they dont finish that sentence)" or " I dont understand how you get boyfriends and your brother never dated" and there are some people who complimented me but I dont have confidence in that area when I have to meet my family's friends for the first time.   I dont look like my mom, so when people say "oh, your daughter doesnt look like you" I take it as she's not pretty..things like that.   I dont know why this affect so much.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Cher
Cher
Cher, Relationship Enthusiast