Relationship

Have Relationship Questions? Ask a Counselor for Answers ASAP

Relationship

my girlfriend wears the same style of clothes every day, no

matter what the occassion. Black...
my girlfriend wears the same style of clothes every day, no matter what the occassion. Black top, jeans & ugg boots. Weve been going out for a year and ive never seen her wear anything different. she is so beautiful i dont know why see hides in these boring clothes. Ive tried convincing her to try wearing some coloured tops that are different, different trousers and maybe some shoes now & again. she even went to court & a friends birthday party wearing the same style. Black top, jeans, uggs. She never changes her style or wears colours. Any ideas?
11/14/2008
KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What are your ages?

-How long have you been dating?

-Before you started dating did she wear that same style?

-Have you tried buying her different colored tops and different style of clothes?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

hi Kimberly Ann,

thanks for replying,

Im 25, she is 29

We have been dating for just over a year

she hasnt always worn the same clothes, she has showed me pictures of herself from when she was younger and she is wearing different style of clothes and colours. Having said that she turned up to our first date wearing the same style, black top, jeans, ugg boots.

We met on a net dating site so I didnt know her before that or what she was like.

We are both professional people, shes a teacher and im a police officer, she had to go to a court hearing for her job and she wore the same style which i didnt feel was appropriate, I fee she should have worn a trouser suit/shoes. We also went to friends birthday dinner where everyone made the effort. guys were in shirts, girls were in smart tops, trousers/jeans and heels.

I have suggested to her loads about changing her style or treating her to a top and she just has a go at me, saying that I should be happy with who she is and if shes happy wearing what she wants & she feels comfortable then thats all that matters. I should stop trying to changer her. Im not really, I just feel after a year has she got issues?

Customer

Some women hate it when guys comment her about their clothes, because it makes them feel like they are trying to change them or displeased with the way they look and aren't willing to accept them for who they are or want to be. With that being said try offering to take her shopping for new clothes or just come home with different colored tops and some slacks and shoes or buy that for her for Christmas buy her things you want to see her in like shirts that are red, blue, the colors you think she would look great in and if she see herself in them maybe she will change he perspective on how she dresses. You would think as a teacher she would get style tips from her female students but it just may be that she likes herself in dull non vibrant colors.

You have several choices: Surprise her by having a dinner date and let her know to dress up for a special date, have a sexy outfit as a gift for her when u get home and ask her to try it, do not try to change her into dressing like someone else - accept her for who she is, make sure she is ok with your choice of clothes you suggest to her. You don't want to seem like you are displease with her style and what she wears even if you are this will make her angry and may cause a riff in the relationship. Buy her sexy clothes and say, "Hey, can you put this on for me?" I want to see what you look like in this." then when she actually does, compliment her! Tell her "Wow you look hot" or "Wow you look gorgeous" if she sees by your expression that you are really please with the way she looks she will try to please you and start wearing those types of styles more, it could even be possible that if she sees how good she looks she will want to look that good all of the time maybe even possibly surprise her by taking her shopping to a spa day (which includes hair and nail treatments). She may appreciate the effort you are making for her don't tell her you sent her to a spa to spruce up her look tell her you wanted to show her how much you care about her and so she will relax some time women want their clothes to look as good as their hair and nails or the way they feel after they get a girly look.

She only teaches primary school, 6-12 yr olds ( England)

So the kids wear uniforms and i dont really think that you can take much style tips from 12 yr olds

i will try the surprise approach, as when we have gone out shopping and ive suggested buying her something she just rolls her eyes at me.

I might just go out and buy her a nice colour top and see what the response is. Ill try telling her how wonderful she looks, but ill prepare myself and keep the recipet as Ive got a feeling ill be taking it back :-)

thanks

Customer

It's worth a try and maybe make a compromise for her to keep what you have bought and wear one day a week this way you have your way and she has hers and then later suggest more days. Yes your right you really don't want your girlfriend dressing like a 12 year old. Laughing

KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert
KimberlyF
KimberlyF
KimberlyF, Longtime Relationship Expert