How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JR, M.A. Your Own Question
JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 184
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
JR, M.A. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has a history of not talking to me for more than

This answer was rated:

My husband has a history of not talking to me for more than two weeks at a time. Not a word! Like he's mad at me for something and I ask and it's something soooo trival. It seems it happens every three to four months?? What can I do to help him??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 57; Male, Texas

Already Tried:
Those are my husbands stats. He has been like this most of his adult life. We've been married 2 yares (high school sweethearts reunited) but he did this to his first wife (I just found out). What can I do to help him??? Thank you so much for your time.
Hi Sara,

It sounds like there is very little you can do with him other than getting him to go to couples therapy. If he would be willing to go to couples therapy, you might be able to figure out what is going on with his tendency to hold in his anger. I suspect this is an issue that is deeply rooted for him and probably has to do with his childhood and his relationship with his parents. The fact that he has repeated this pattern over and over is troubling. You really have to ask yourself if you are willing to put up with this type of behavior for the rest of your life with him. It sounds like unless he is willing to get into therapy and talk about what is going on for him, he will likely continue the same maladaptive pattern. His strong reaction to small issues is representative of a possible narcissistic character disorder. That means that the possibility of him changing in any major way is unlikely unless he is strongly committed to changing. I think you should sit down and talk with him about getting some therapy together. Hopefully, if he really wants to make the marriage work he will go along with this idea.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A. and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you