Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a roku express device and i've been trying to mirror…

Hi i have a...

Hi i have a roku express device and i've been trying to mirror my MacBook and iPhone via an application called mirror for roku but i can't seem to find my roku device

Technician's Assistant: What Roku model do you have?

How can i know the model?

Technician's Assistant: The Video Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Roku media player?

My only concern is to be able to screen mirror my MacBook and iphne will i be able to do so?

5/24/2018
Joe
Joe, Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Mirror is actually a channel on Roku itself. Then you have the Mac and Iphone app, the download is only a free trial. Make sure that your devices are all on the exact same network, some routers have more than one network such as 1 2 on top of the first and if not on the same one they will not locate on the network.

What part of the process are you stuck at?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi joe thank you for answering me
i'm really frustrated !I added the channel Mirror for roku to my roku device and purchased the app on both MacBook and iPhone xbut the roku is not appearing at allI have the xfinity router and have only one network but i think there is a difference in the IP addressin the roku device it says 10.0.0.80
and on my iPhone x its 10.0.0.9

Ip addresses are assigned to each device.

Try pressing the reset button on the roku and then unplug and plug your router back in.

Here's the thing, on your computer you can log into your router via net and change/view settings, within that it will list all active devices, devices shown are seen on the network (also when your roku unit works on your wifi) this would then suggest a problem on the mac. Have you checked network sharing and making sure devices are visible as well as checking that if a device is shown as unknown that you allow it if denied?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
do you mean that the IP addresses should not be the same in order for them to work together ?I'm connecting the roku device through wifi not ethernet.
no, they are actually the same IP address, the end just identifies the device.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
But in the app “mirror for roku” it says that make sure that the IP address in both devices are the same ! I’m confused.

Put your Mac and your Roku on the same router channel. Some routers (dual band) have create both a 2.4Ghz and a 5Ghz wireless network. For the best performance, put your Mac and your TV on the same network. Preferably the 5Ghz network. But definitely not the Mac on 5Ghz and the TV on 2.4Ghz, because that will negatively impact the performance of screen mirroring.

Use an AC or N router. Newer routers support Wifi AC and N. Older routers might only have Wifi B and/or G. B and G are not really up to scratch anymore for modern networking tasks, so go for an AC or N router. If your router supports AC and N, also make sure that your router is set to use either the Wifi N or Wifi AC networking.

They do have the same ip address just the end defines the device, you cannot have both exactly the same or one or both would have issues.

Whats important is router channel and network ssid match, as listed above.

Try also updating the roku unit.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
okay now i've started to understand you. yes i see on my router that it says dual-band and there are 2.4 and 5 Ghz but the question is how can i make my MacBook and roku on the same network ?

That'll only affect performance, you can set a different ssid to each band if you wish in order to tell them apart, that is done in the router settings that you log into online.

Did you check the roku for updates?

Does your roku show up on your mac under networks or network shared devices?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i checked for updates and its up to date .
and no i don't see it under the networksi'm now contacting xfinity to set the two bands apart then i'll try to connect both of them to one network
The two speed bands would only effect performance if on different bands such
as max faster than roku band.
Did you try resetting the roku and router like I explained as well?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i reset everything and made sure that all of my devices are connected to the same network. but i still can't connect them together in the mirror my roku app.

Is this a problem when trying to use the app on the mac and on the iphone?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i downloaded the app in both my mac and iphone and i can’t see roku.
I also downloaded the official roku app on my iphone and can’t see roku and connect to it

Lets try having you reset the roku to default in the roku settings menu, note this will revert everything to like it was new so you will need to do channels, password, network setup etc all over again, then see if your devices will connect to it.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay i’ll try that

How did you make out last night?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Joe, it finally worked out!!! I reset the roku and it appeared on my mac and iphone at last
Thank you sooo much for your help

Oh great to hear, I figured since it was multiple devices that may fix the problem.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Joe
Joe, Technician