Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I've got a portable dvd player with a no disk error.

I've got a portable...

I've got a portable dvd player with a no disk error. Watcheddar some utube videos but haven't solved it

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Rca I bought it used don't know how old

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

Tried different dvds rubbing alcohol on lense

3/25/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Can you tell me the model number of the rca?

DRC99392E is that the model number? JA251CD094801 ?

Yes that is it,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly. Or as it sounds like you've already done, put some alcohol on a qtip and swab the lens with that a few times.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Ok I'll try that . I've tried again after messaging you and the way it seems the mechanism doesn't want to spin the dvd. But I'll try what you advised.

Thank you for checking,

this is most likely a hardware defect.

As a 2012model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market. They are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is completely normal and expected to see them last just a year or so at best. So especially for a used one of unknown history, and this age, I would have little expectation of it working again. It is also absolutely not worth fixing. It would cost $100+ to repair it and you could buy a brand new one for half that.

Ok thanks for the info.

You're very welcome, and best of luck! If you need help with replacement recommendations I can help with that as well.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Technician
Ok so if I put a dvd in it'll spin a little bit, like 4 seconds, then stop again. Anything else I can try?
That is about it unfortunately this would still be a hardware fault which is most likely in the control board at this point. Replacing the entire system is really the only option.
Ok thanks.
You’re welcome