Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Toshiba DVR620 that's a combination DVD/VHS player.

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a Toshiba DVR620 that's a combination DVD/VHS player. The VCR plays a tape as though there is nothing recorded on it. Any idea why.

Technician's Assistant: How old is your DVR620?

Its model year is 2009, but I bought it new early last year.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your DVR620?

I have been recording and playing DVDs. Recently I have been dubbing a lot of old videotapes on to DVDs.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's all I can say. I'm not well-versed in tech matters.

3/24/2018
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

You say that it plays the tape like there's nothing on it... Is this when you try to copy from VHS to DVD? If I understand you correctly, the DVD plays nothing after you attempt to record VHS to DVD?

No, the problem is when I try simply to play a VHS tape in the VCR mode. Even though I know there are images on the tape, the image I get on screen is that of a blank tape.
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

I still need an answer to this question. Thanks.

Have you tried multiple tapes?

Does the DVD side work?

No problems on the DVD side of the machine.

Unfortunately, the unit would need to be repaired but the bad news is that it would cost more to repair it than the unit is worth.

That may be true, but could you still venture a guess as to why the VCR part of the machine is playing recorded tapes with so much static it's as though they were blank tapes?

No, it is likely an internal issue and it would require the unit to be opened up.

I've made arrangements to do that but I just wondered if you might be able to give me an idea of what I could tell the technician to look for. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out on this. I appreciate it. Have a good night!

You're welcome -- I apologize that I had to deliver the bad news to you. Please understand that we do not like to deliver bad news because our rating on the site is based on the feedback of our customers so bad news situations are difficult to deal with. Thankfully, a large majority of our customers are understanding that we are just messengers in the situation and do not take it out on the rating system.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Harry, Customer Service
Harry, I left a rating and a tip for you. Thanks for trying to assist me in this matter. I'm going to take the machine to a repair shop. Have a good night.