Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

No audio when using Roku streaming stick with Sony

No audio when using...

No audio when using Roku streaming stick with Sony KDL-46Z4100 TV

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

Yes. Video is fine on all channels.

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

It's connected to a power outlet and in HDMI port 2.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

This is my first time with Roku.

3/19/2018
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Does this happen on any other inputs too? Can you move it to hdmi 1 and let me know if that does anything?

No change. I'll be back in five minutes
I'm back. Also, my bank wants to know about a $30 charge from your company.
Hello?
No, 24 hr wait is no help. I was texting with Nathan. Please respond.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed. I'm only just now getting your messages.

The 24 hour wait is because you "opted out", blocking me from being able to respond to you, and it can then take longer for another tech to get involved.

You have paid the full agreed upon fees (5 deposit + balance/total) noted on the payment page when posting your question. Those are the appropriate charges which are applicable for getting help here.

Do you have sound from other sources on this tv (cable/satellite, dvd, etc)?

Satellite and DVD.

Okay and those are working, and the sound is coming through the sonys own built in tv speakers? Or through some external audio system (soundbar, surround sound/theater system, etc)?

I have an Onkyo AVR with Dolby 5.1 surround.

Okay that makes a significant difference here.

What is the model number of the onkyo?

How, specifically, is everything (tv, cable, dvd, onkyo) connected currently?

It's an Onkyo HT-R540. TV is connected via HDMI 1 port. DirecTV TiVo recorder handles the input, output to to the Onkyo.

Okay so the dtv box and dvd I assume are connected to the hdmi ports on the onkyo, correct?

TV in HDMI 1, DVD in HDMI 4. HDMI 2 & 3 are unused. I've tried the Roku in ports 1 & 2, get video on both but no audio.

Are you plugging the roku into the side/back of the tv, or into the onkyo?

Into the TV. The Onkyo has no HDMI inputs.

Okay that is different than what you had indicated previously.

So how is the onkyo connected to the tv then?

Via the classic red and white audio cables and the yellow video cable.

That is the root of the problem,

the roku is a digital device, it is not possible for its audio to be output to the onkyo in that format.

You'd have to use a digital connection instead, so you'll need to get an optical (fiber optic) cable and connect that to the Digital Audio Out port on the tv, and the other end to the Optical 2 port on the onkyo, which will then be set to TV mode

Aha. I suspected as much; haven't checked the cabling side of my setup in quite a long time. So no other cables will need to be disconnected, right? I'm assuming the optical cable is readily available in electronics stores?

Yes it is, you can pick one up anywhere that sells electronics, or online here: http://amzn.to/2FPygfm

Gotcha. I will purchase one in the next few minutes. Do I need a ticket number so I can get back to you with the results?

No ticket, just reply back here in this same chat (you may bookmark/favorite this page to reach me directly)

Thanks. I'll let you know.

You are very welcome, and good luck!

Nathan, Technician