Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I just purchased a 50' element 4k uhd Roku tv and want to…

Customer Question
I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 50' element 4k uhd Roku tv and want to use my Direct tv remote to operate the Roku tv. How can I do this

Technician's Assistant: What Roku model do you have? How old is it?

IT IS A ROKU TV

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

YES, MENU WORKS

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your Roku? What happened right before this?

JUST GOT THE TV YESTERDAY. i WANT TO USE MY DIRECT TV REMOTE TO OPERATE THE ROKU TV.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

That is not going to work.

It may be possible to get the dtv remote to power the tv on/off, and to adjust the volume.

It will not be possible to get the dtv remote to operate any of the roku or smart functions on the tv, it just is not designed for that.

If you can give me the full model number of the tv, I can tell you the proper code to try for the power/volume functions.

i will be right back, I have to get the model number

Thanks

model # E455W5017RKU

Thank you,

please try 11523, that is the specific IR code for your tv.

It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Cable/satellite/AV Component manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility. In short if this doesn't work, then your satellite remote is just not compatible with the tv, which is common with the low quality off brand sets like element.

Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. This would work for the roku functions too.

Best regards,