Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I was watching a Roku movie and my TV suddenly went blank. I…

Hi. I was...

Hi. I was watching a Roku movie and my TV suddenly went blank. I can hear the Roku sounds but there is no picture and no sound. So, I guess my TV could be caput. It's 3 years old. I just installed Roku on March 7th, so I don't think it's the batteries. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: Are there any HDMI cables or A/V jacks (red, yellow, and white cables) plugged into your TV?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Was there a power outage recently?

Yes, earlier today. I think the TV was on when that happened but I didn't notice anything.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I have two TVs using Roku devices. One is working. The other isn't.

3/17/2018
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What's the model number off of the back of the TV and how old is it?

Also, if you use the original TV remote can you get the MENU to display?

Vizio E390-A1 3 or 4 years old
Can't get the menu to display using the TV remote.
You still there?

Thank you. If the MENU won't display this does indicate a fault in the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

TV menu comes up now. That's it so far. Next step?

Well go ahead and try using it as normal- see if it's fixed. If you still can't get the Roku to display then the TV requires repairs which are not cost effective at $200-$250 on average- as the set can be replaced for that cost.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Technician