Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have s Panasonic DMR-EZ 485' I have a Panasonic DMR -EZ…

Customer Question
I have s Panasonic...

I have s Panasonic DMR-EZ 485'

Technician's Assistant: What Panasonic product do you have?

I have a Panasonic DMR -EZ 485 V I put in a VHS tape but it doesn't play. The eject doesn't work . I removed it manually and the door on the slot is not there. The eject to the DVR also doesn't eject.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

It is old but it worked fine last week

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

I tried to insert a VHS Tape.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Is thee a store near by where I can takei it if needed.?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
3/16/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

If you press and hold the power button on the front for 10 seconds, does that change anything?

I will check - it is in another room, No change. The door on the front is not there and I can't seem to find it.

Thank you for checking,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2004 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is at about 4 times its service life at this point.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs for these units just isn't feasible. There are no parts available for them any longer and labor alone would be 2-3 times the cost of a new system.
I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.
My apologies for the news.

Is there a store near me where I get get service? I do not have the time to talk to you now. Thanks.
I sent an answer above. Taking it to a store would be of no benefit. A repair shop would charge you a $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer. This is a hardware failures and the system would simply need to be replaced.
I would like to disconnect at this time. Thanks.
I have no ability to cancel or refund anything. We are all independent techs here working in good faith to help. I’ve already provided an answer for you above.