Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am wondering why my Roku frequently unsyncs the remote and…

I am wondering why...

I am wondering why my Roku frequently unsyncs the remote and then it is extremely difficult to get it to sync again. I followed the instructions I have seen by various people on how to sync the remote but this last time I have tried numerous times and it won’t sync. Any ideas?

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

It shows the home page with the menu I guess you call it showing the different things we can go into and watch

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

It is connected to a power outlet....it is a stick...can’t rmember what it’s called but the stick is plugged into the hdmi on the tv and the stick is plugged into an outlet

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/3/2018
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Hi welcome to just answer
How old is the roku?
Have you ever changed batteries on the remote?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is less than a year old. And yes we just changed the batteries about a week ago thinking that was the issue.
Ok,
Depending with the model. When you take the battery cover off, there could be a pairing button that you can press for 30 second to pair your system to remote
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we have tried that multiple times. We have looked up information about this before because it does this quite often. So the process we have gone through is to unplug the roku. ..remove the batteries in the remote....plug roku back in...when it gets the bouncing roku word on the tv screen put the batteries back in and then hold the pairing button until it blinks....then wait and it should pair with the tv. We have tried that about 10 times today...nothing. but maybe we need to do like you said and hold it longer...for 30 seconds even if the light is blinking?
hold the button longer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to know what could be causing this to happen so often? Why would it keep unpairing itself? Is it the device...the internet...the remote itself?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we tried holding the pairing button for more than 30 seconds and still nothing. Any other things that you can suggest?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn’t you have any other suggestions for me regarding this....we have tried holding the button longer. It is still not working. The pairing light will start to flash no matter what button we push on the remote, but the pairing never takes place.

Ok this problem would related to a defective remote control. You can purchase a replacement remote control for your system. In order to send you a correct link, please tell the model of the roku: Roku box ( roku 2,3) or stick.

This could a cheaper alternative for you to try another remote control to see if it will work properly with your existing roku

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you....we have a Roku stick.
I forgot to ask can you see the streaming while sitting in front of the tv?
I am asking this because some customers install the stick on the back of the Tv and that could be causing the remote issues
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The stick is on the back of the tv....something else we just noticed however is that it says on the screen that the Roku is not connected to the internet. Could there be something wrong with the stick itself....not just the remote? Or did it just disconnect itself because maybe the internet had issues and so now it is not reconnecting because of the remote issue we are having? When I have tried to pair the remote I have even held it at the back of the tv so that it is right next to the stick, but it still wouldn’t pair.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry it took me so long to read your latest answer and respond.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also in connection to what you mentioned about trying a different remote....we tried downloading the Roku remote app to my tablet but it could not find the Roku because it wasn’t connected to the internet and the one app asked for the IP address but of course you cannot get that without the remote. So do you think there could be more of an issue here than just the remote?

Thanks for the update. Now I can tell you the problem with Roku remote is because it is located far away from the visible area of your remote control. To correct this, you will need to either move the roku to the side of the tv where you can see it or purchase hmdi extension cable similar to the one on the link below. This will fix the remote control issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/UGREEN-Extension-Resolution-Extender-Chromecast/dp/B00QV3THB8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520542277&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+extender+cable&psc=1

Once the roku is moved to an area where you can see it with your eyes, then we can now get the remote to work and then fix other problems that require remote control.

electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.
electronicsguy
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer