Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kids broke my remote so I had to buy another one. It just…

Customer Question
My kids broke my...

My kids broke my remote so I had to buy another one. It just arrived and will NOT pair with the Roku.

Technician's Assistant: What Roku model do you have?

The Streaming Stick

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Roku media player?

I unplugged it from the tv, unplugged it from the outlet did this several times I'm on the Roku homescreen. I used to use my phone to control the roku but we had a power glitch and it disconnected from the internet and could not be reconnected without a real roku remote.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
1/7/2018
Electronics Technician: Dan T., Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help!

Which remote did you buy? There is a Standard IR Remote, and a "Point Anywhere" Remote. If you aren't sure, remove the battery cover and tell me whether or not there is a "Pair" button in there.

Last, where did you get the remote?

I got the remote directly from Roku. It is a point anywhere remote and it has a pair button.

OK thanks for that extra info. Here's what I think you should do (in order, please):

1. Try restarting your Roku device and remote

• Open the battery compartment and remove the batteries from the remote.
  • Remove the power cable from the Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.
  • When the Roku device displays the home screen, reinsert the batteries.
  • Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

2. Try re-pairing the remote

• Press and hold the pairing button inside the remote for 3 seconds or until you see the pairing light in the remote begin to flash. If the light does not flash, try again. If the light still does not flash, then you will need to replace your batteries (see below).
  • The remote pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

3. Try replacing the batteries (even if you think these batteries are fresh/new)

• Open the battery compartment and remove the old batteries from the remote.
  • When the Roku device displays the first screen, insert new batteries.

Let me know if you need anything else. Oh, and please take a second to rate the service I provided (there should be a 5-star scale on your page somewhere). Don't worry, that won't close your question and you can still respond back at any time.

I did all of those things. The Roku does not go to the home screen, it is on the language selection screen.Also, it shows that it is trying to pair but the remote doesn't do anything.

OK, thanks. Do you have the Roku app on your phone? You should try using that, in place of the remote (not permanently... just to fix the current issue). Open the Roku app on your phone, then tap "Remote."

The app is available on Google Play and App Store.

That way you can go through the language selection and to the home screen, then you can pair the remote again.

The app doesn't work because the Roku isn't currently connected to Wi-Fi.

OK, well I'm out of ideas. I will opt out and let someone else chime in.

Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 3 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply. I've just logged in and saw your question waiting and I'm happy to assist you. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Harry, Customer Service