Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have purchased two ROKU televisions in the past 12

Customer Question
I have purchased two...

I have purchased two ROKU televisions in the past 12 months..love the tv. My son has epilepsy and depression and knocked over the ROKU tv while having a seizure. I was told at Walmart that ROKU will give you another television if you have had your tv for less than a year and you break it. I have both 32 inch televisions now.

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

No, screen is broken; television per se is fine

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

Tv is connected to power outlet with an XBox attached. He was playing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

No..I have several other tv's he has broken by ROKU but threw them away. My son is adopted and has depression along with epilepsy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Receipt for most recent tv purchase.
I have the receipt for the purchase of the first ROKU television around here is you wish for me to find it I can. It will
take a while to find it. Just need to know if this is feasible to receive free tv or tv's. Thank you.
1/5/2018
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident with the tvs, I hope your son is ok and was not hurt in the process. Unfortunately that is not true and the folks at walmart have misled you here though.

These TCL tvs are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum, they are built to meet a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. For this same reason, the support from TCL is very poor as well, and while they do have a warranty, it would cover only manufacturing defects. Even then it is usually not worth pursuing as they will generally require you to send the tv in for repairs at your own expense for shipping costs both ways that end up costing more than the tv is worth. The company is not obligated to cover any type of accidental or physical damage like this. You could certainly contact them to ask, but given their poor reputation for support, I would not expect any consideration at all from them

Outside of warranty coverage, it would not be feasible to repair it either, the entire screen would have to be replaced and the cost for parts and labor to do this would be twice what the tv is worth. You would be better off simply replacing it yourself now as even if you had fixed the screen, these tcl sets typically last only 1-2 years at best anyway so other parts would continue to fail sooner than later. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the under $200 range and be better off in the long run.

Though if you expect this type of thing to happen again, you may be better off continuing to buy the cheap disposable tvs and just replacing them as they are damaged. There are some options that may help though too that you could consider such as wall mounting the tv in a position where it would not be as likely to be injured.

I can help with replacement recommendations if you'd like.

My apologies for the news,

Nathan, Technician