Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kenwood dual audio cassette tape player/recorder will…

Customer Question
My kenwood dual audio...

My kenwood dual audio cassette tape player/recorder will start on play and rewind but stops immediately, both tape players. After cycling the direction buttons repeatedly many times they will start to play normally. After turning off, the players revert to their old problem. Could the belts be bad? or some other cause. Model Kenwood, KX-W892.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

Yes,l always. Kenwood duel cassette tape deck. KX-W892

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Don.t know yet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
1/4/2018
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 6 months ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer

Hi welcome to just answer,

There a number of things that would cause this: Belt, pinch roller and drive motor.

If you ware able to perform some work, we can work together to identify the problem and order replacement parts.

Do you happen to know when as the last time the belts were replaced?

Have you ever replaced pinch rollers?

Have you ever cleaned pinch rollers and check how soft they are ?

No to either question. Where are they, what do they look like?. Are they visible from the front or do I need to remove the cover?Are they the black rubber rollers that advance the tape. The problem exits when I press Play, and when I press rewind.

The belt is under the cover, the pinch roller is located next to the pick up head. It is a small rubber wheel that should be cleaned with alcohol swap and checked for softness. While you are there also clean the pick-up heads.

To find the drive belt, you will have to take the cover off and locate the motor. The belt goes from the motor to the spindle that makes contact to the pinch roller.

I discovered that I can rotate the pickup head with my fingers 90 degrees and the tape will play till I turn of the power. Than I have to do it again to play. Something is preventing the head from not rotating properly. What could be he problem with that?