Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Nakamichi cd player 3 will not load. I took the top off…

Customer Question
My Nakamichi cd player...

My Nakamichi cd player 3 will not load. I took the top off an opened it up but I'm unable to figure out the problem

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your media player? How old is it?

Nakamichi...1991

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your media player?

As mentioned above

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/31/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Pete, Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Have you tried cleaning the lens?

I don't know where the lens is or how to clean it. When I press the "store" button, the disc will not load properly. Ultimately, the word "err" is displayed on the front of the CD player

To clean the lens, just put in a cleaning disc and it will clean it:

https://www.amazon.com/Endust-for-Electronics-262000-Cleaner/dp/B003EEMDMC/

How can you be sure that will correct the problem and it's not something more mechanical?

There are three things it could be: the lens, the laser, or the spindle motor.

If you can see a glow from the laser with the cover removed then the laser is working ok.

If you do not hear any grinding noises from the motor then the motor is likely ok.

Just to be clear this is player that has 6 slots for cds as well as a single slot. 1,2,3,4,5,6, S. Are you familiar with this Nakamichi CDPlayer3. I've had it since 1991. Where would I expect to see aglow when the cover is removed? I don't think I'm experiencing any "grinding" noise.

Yes, I am familiar with this player.

You should not look directly at the laser, but it is possible to observe it with the cover removed.

I was trying to send you a picture but the picture file is greater than 5 megs. When I press the "store"/"load" button, the tray does not open. I can manually pull the tray out and place a CD into the tray which inserts a CD in slot 1. I can listen to that cd from slot 1. When I press store again, it won't allow me to load a second cd
After a couple attempts, the CD does not come back to the tray drawer and ERR is displayed.
I was able to load cds but they do not return back from the tray drawer. I'll look at this again tomorrow. Not sure you provided any resolution. Happy New Year.

Ok, let me know if cleaning the lens works for you.

Happy New Year!

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating.

Pete.

Pete, Engineer