Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I don't have a Roku device yet, but I want one. My

Customer Question
I don't have a...

I don't have a Roku device yet, but I want one. My television has 3 HDMI ports but doesn't have a USB port-strange. However my Spectrum cable box does have a USB port, and I do have wireless. Can I still use one of the Roku devices.

Technician's Assistant: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?

As I said, I don't yet have a Roku media player or streaming stick. I use a BluRay player for Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.

Technician's Assistant: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?

My BluRay is connected to the TV by an HDMI cable and connected to a power outlet.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/27/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

No usb port is needed at all.

HDMI is required, but you have plenty of those, so you just need to plug the roku into your hdmi1, hdmi2, or hdmi3 port, and set the tv to the corresponding input mode using the input/source button on the tv remote.

The roku does require power, and while it is possible to obtain that via usb, most tvs that have usb ports don't provide enough power anyway.

The roku will come with a power cord, that will allow it to be plugged into a standard wall power outlet (or into a surge protector or power strip) for 120v AC power.

There are several roku models available: http://amzn.to/2E0bMnj

but I would recommend getting the "box" type over the stick, they tend to perform better and will be more "future proof" if you plan on upgrading to a new 4k tv in the future.

Best regards,