Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I've got a Crosley Keepsake USB Turntable that won't turn.

Customer Question
I've got a Crosley...

I've got a Crosley Keepsake USB Turntable that won't turn. Suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Many mo this. Many months.

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. It's a $130 machine. Dont want to pay to gave it fixed if I can do myself.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope. It powers om

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Powers on, just doesn't turn. Yes. It's been off for months.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/17/2017
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 5 months ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Hi welcome to just answer
Can you listen to the system to see if you hear motor sound when turn table is turned on?
the motor seems to be going on. Thanks for your help.

Ok,

This looks like the belt has slipped off or broken. Please take the rubber mat off the plater,take the c-clip off and lift the plater off to perform a visual belt inspection. If the belt is not good, please measure its length and send it to me. I will find a replacement and send you the information.

It's not the belt. I reattached the belt, but nothing was spinning to move the belt. No parts are moving.
Ok what was the noise coming from?
Take the plater off, try to move the stylus arm towards the center and see if the motor spins
Somewhere under the turntable
Took the platter off, moved the arm to the center and back the other way. Nothing starts spinning. I CAN hear an activated motor though.
Ok then the check without the plater will help get closer to the answer
What am I checking for with the platter off?
Ok that brings me to a question, can you take the system apart to inspect the mechanism under the arm. This could be a switch problem turning the motor on
I'm not seeing how to take it apart and get under there.
Check that. I just figured it out. I'm under the turntable now.
Ok now check the mechanism under the control arm and see if you can identify the switch that turns the turntable on
Yeah, I see that. It powers on, the light goes on...but nothing moves.
Ok
Now we now the motor need to be checked
How do I do that?
Do you see the the motor connection?
Ok do you have electrical measuring instrument? We will need a voltage measurement or resistance when power is off
I do not have an electrical measuring instrument. Is that my only option for proceeding?
I am sorry for the delay. At this point, we cannot move forward unless you are able to perform electrical measurement. My suggestion is for you to either find the meter or take it to a local repair shop for further diagnosis. Sorry we cannot do more here online
I just paid $28 for you to tell me that I should take it to a repair shop? What's the electrical measurement tool I need to assess the situation?
You need a multi meter
I am not sure what arrangements you have with the site but I do provide help online. The site has separate arrangements with each of us and I am not able to continue with troubleshooting online due to limited resources from your end. I feel that my work is done here. If you can't get the multi meter. We can't do anything else. Please let me know what you would like to move forward and get the appropriate tools.
Okay, what do I do once I've purchased a multi-meter?
You will measure voltage across the motor terminals when the arm is engaged.
I think we can schedule a phone call if you want to to get through the test due to electrical safety
Is the phone call gonna cost me extra?
I paid $28 for you to tell me I need a multi-meter. I'm not paying another $26 for a phone call to fix a record player that costs $130 brand new?
Electronics Technician: Harry, Customer Service replied 5 months ago
Harry, Customer Service

Hello:

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to be assisting you today. My sincerest apologies that it look so long for someone to reply, we're a bit behind with the holidays coming upon us. Before we begin, can you please let me know if you still need help with your question? Just use the reply box to let me know.

Harry, Customer Service