Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

I have a Roku 3 box that’s about one year old. It’s worked…

Customer Question
I have a Roku...

I have a Roku 3 box that’s about one year old. It’s worked fine until tonight.

Technician's Assistant: What Roku model do you have?

Roku 3

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Roku media player?

What happened was I was watching a video and paused it with my Roku remote... when I hit play it stayed paused and wouldn’t play the remote wouldn’t work to unpause it so I unplugged the Roku, that didn’t,t work so I tried the reset button that’s below the Plug going into the Roku 3. Now I just get the black screen with the time on it . When I hit the button on the remote, nothing happens.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

As a starting point, we'll need to reset the roku system:

Power off the tv and disconnect both power and hdmi from the roku.

Remove the batteries from the roku remote

Wait 5 minutes,

reconnect hdmi, power the tv on, then plug the roku power back in

put in a new set of fresh batteries into the roku remote

when you see the roku logo show on screen, press and hold the HOME button on the roku remote for 15 seconds.

Let me know the results.

Thank you,

I fixed it by doing a hard reset of the Roku box. I unplugged the Roku box, waited a minute, plugged it back in then used a paper clip and used it to push the reset button down for a full 15 seconds. The TV screen had a message that I had to go to the Roku website, I forget the addy but I had to put in a code, my email addy and Roku password. Then I got a screen where I had to select my language, match the remote to the Roku box there's a button under the battery cover- hold 3 seconds- then my Roku box upgraded the software and then I clicked OK and it turned on and it worked. I get my $5.00 back right.

Glad to hear it is working again for you. The full factory reset would not have been necessary, the above reset steps I mentioned would have resolve it without the need to reregister the roku and set it all up again.

This is a paid support site, it is not free help and also was not $5, that was just to post the question, not the total you agreed to on the payment page when submitting your question.

You are wrong Nathan. I tried what you told me and it wasn't a fix. After doing what you just told me it didn't fix the problem. After disconnecting the hdmi and power and changing the batteries, holding down the Home button for 15 seconds did not work! What are you planning on charging for your inaccurate advice? Whatever the amount is, I will call my credit union and a stop payment on this.

As I said, that was an initial step that I asked you to take and reply back so we could continue the conversation. If you opted to go another route on your own that is outside my control.

We're all independent techs here working on our own personal time in a good faith effort to help. You agreed to and paid your fees to the site and may self manage any such matters through the help page.

Where do I rate you? I will definitely stop payment through my credit union. They are very good handling thieves. Where do I rate you?
Where's your help page also.
Louie, Technician