Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Sony DVD player is suddenly unable to access my shows on…

Customer Question
My Sony DVD player...

My Sony DVD player is suddenly unable to access my shows on HULU. It's BDV E980 and I keep seeing reference code 300. Hitting the retry button is unsuccessful. I've tried changing my internet settings and resetting my router to no avail. Any other things I could try?

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

This season's The Voice, this season's Blindspot, and Brave

Technician's Assistant: What does your screen look like when you try to open the program?

I can scroll through to find the episode I want, but when i push to get to the next screen which would show the air date and description, I get only the words "reference code 300" with 2 buttons: retry or cancel. Hitting retry does nothing and cancel brings me all the way back to the DVD menu from which I have to choose HULU all over again.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

It was working fine until the end of November.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/16/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

As an initial step, please try going into the settings menu on the player itself, under network or system, and check if there is an available software update, and install if so.

If no change after that please let me know what it shows as the software version.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Well I have hesitated in replying again because I was immediately charged an additional $21 after we began interacting and I thought I might be charged more money for every interaction.I've contacted customer service and they have clarified that I can continue to interact with you to solve this problem to my satisfaction without being charged anymore money.Therefore, I want to let you know that I had already updated the software on the Sony DVD player to the latest version. So please let me know what the next step would be.

Thank you for getting back to me.

You were charged the correct total for a one time fee, the initial 5 was only to post your question, not the total cost for help. There is no cost to continue working with me.

Thank you for checking that it is updated, but can you please tell me the actual current version it is showing?

Christmas and New Year's festivities made me unavailable to interact with you to solve this Sony DVD problem. Is it possible to pick this up again?If so, my software version is: M07.R.0631
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 3 months ago

Thank you for confirming,

you do have the latest version now, however even that is quite out of date, which really is the underlying problem here.

This is an older (2011) model, for which all support has been long discontinued. The software update you have, though latest, is still from early 2015.. This player is far past its service life now, and because of that most of the marketing agreements for it have expired, including youtube and recently hulu. Because of that, the apps have stopped working and will not be added back or further updated. This is a typical course of life as smart tvs and bluray players age out.

Replacing the player would be one option. The other, which I would recommend is to keep it as-is for disc playback and instead purchase a dedicated streaming device such as

a roku or fire tv or appletvand get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost, and better long term support.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Technician