Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an sl-220 that the platter speed is very hard to

Customer Question
adjust and maintain at a...
I have an sl-220 that the platter speed is very hard to adjust and maintain at a constant sleep. The speed adjust is very touchy to adjust. What causes this a how can it be corrected? I know it can become dirty. What’s the best method to clean it. Also, I have an at88e cartridge. Is that still a good replacement, or any recommendations on others in similar price range? Thanks.Butch
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
12/14/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your "...Technics SL-220..." I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Initially, consider using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean the insides of the PITCH controls but allow sufficient drying time.

And yes, the AT88E are good replacement.

The Technics SL-220 turntable was fitted with a Panasonic/Technics EPC-78SMAD phono cartridge and a Panasonic/Technics EPS-74STED needle stylus (or ATN71 needle stylus). The prescribed replacement was an EPS-270SD.