Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Panasonic Blu ray Disk player won’t play a BluRay disk.

Customer Question
My Panasonic Blu ray...

My Panasonic Blu ray Disk player won’t play a BluRay disk

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

DMP BD85. 2011

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Never tried to play a BluRay disk before

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Installed Sept 2010. Can’t get new Blue-Ray disc to Play. Perhaps all previous usage has been DVD, not Blue-Ray. DVC

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
11/20/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Will it still play regular dvds?

Does it give any particular error message on bluray discs?

Plays regular DVDs OK.Gets to a logo. “2 electron” or something like that and goes blank.No error message.

Thank you for confirming,

Did the logo it shows perhaps mention a "region"?

The logo says “2 entertain”. It shows for 2 seconds. No region info.

Thanks for confirming,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. There is a separate laser for the bluray and that is why regular discs may still work.

You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

It is a BBC Worldwide production for 2entertai...... IGot your cleaning advice. We’ll give T a try.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

If the Blue-ray lens is dusty, how would the "2 entertain" logo show up so nicely?

Because the laser needs to move to read different tracks/sections of the disc, so even though the first section may work initially, if it can't read the reset of the disc it would just shut down.

It is possible too that you just have a bad disc, so it would be worth testing another bluray to be sure.

Discs failed on neighbors' Bluray player. Asking vendor to give credit for my returning and $26 for you guys.

Thanks for checking, better to find out a bad disc than a defect in the player.

If you need help after getting the replacement disc feel free to get back in touch.

Nathan, Technician