Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I recently got a new TV and plugged my existing Roku stick…

Customer Question
Good morning. I recently...

Good morning. I recently got a new TV and plugged my existing Roku stick into it. But now, when I'm watching a show, such as "Blue Bloods," the show stops where the commercial breaks on broadcast TV were and I must start the show over again from the Roku home screen. This is VERY frustrating and time consuming. Please help!

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

I don't have good access to it to find the model number, but, as I said, it's a Roku. It's about 3 years old.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Been an issue since I started using it with the new TV.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

The Roku stick worked fine with my previous TV. I mainly use it for Netflix. It also works well when I watch documentaries on Netflix, probably b/c there are no breaks in the program.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
11/11/2017
Electronics Technician: electronicsguy, Engineer replied 5 months ago
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer
Hi welcome to just answer
Who is your internet service provider?
Do you happen to know your connection speed?
Optimum.
How do I find out the speed?
Thanks!
Go on computer or tablet that is connected to the internet. Then search for internet speed test. Choose one and let it run. Please report upload and download speed.
Download: 21.88 mbps
Upload: 5.39 mbps
I would suggest you call your internet service provider to see if that is the speed you are paying for. The upload speed is low compared to download speed. They will check your line and improve the speed. Once we have both speed close to each other, the problem will be resolved
However, the speeds were the same with my previous TV, with which the Roku stick worked well. Perhaps the problem lies in the difference in the ages of the two TVs. My previous TV was a "smart" TV that was about 9 years old. My current TV is only 1 year old. Could the Roku stick not be technologically compatible with the newer TV? Could I need a brand-new Roku stick that is more technologically advanced? Thanks!
This does not have anything to do with the TV. Roku stick is the only device here that uses wifi to connect you to the internet content. If roku stick worked on your last tv and now you have switched tv, the system should also work as previous system. Do you happen to have the old tv? We could try to test it with the roku stick to verify its operation.
I also forgot to ask, how far is your wifi router from the roku stick? If on a different room, how many walls or floors are between the two?
Good morning.
I gave my old TV to a friend who doesn't live near me.
If you say that the stick should work the same on my old AND new TVs, then the Roku stick might not be the problem. As I mentioned, the problem doesn't lie in connecting to the Roku stick or any of its services, such as Netflix. The problem is that when I'm watching a show that originally aired on broadcast TV, the show stops where the commercial breaks on broadcast TV would have been. The screen then says I might have a connection problem, and I must then start that episode all over again from the Roku home screen. This could be some enlightening info: I have sometimes gotten around the problem by anticipating the commercial breaks and pressing Fast Forward on the Roku remote to make the show skip over where the commercials had gone. Most documentaries on Netflix don't stop b/c most of them were not aired on broadcast TV: i.e., they never had commercial breaks.
Also, the router is about 18 feet from the TV and in the same room.
Thanks very much. :-)
Then the problem is with the content where you are connected to. It does not have anything to do with your roku. Is the roku software up to date?
I don't understand what you're referring to when you say, "the content where you are connected to." Please explain. Thanks.

I meant the storage media where the video is stored and you access it through the internet. There could be two possibilities on the process of removing the advertisement is corrupted or the actual software that was used had a problem.

There is NO process of removing the advertisements when watching a TV series that originally aired with advertisements. The ads have already been removed.
"The storage media?" I'm sorry, but with that "tech talk," I still have no idea what you're talking about and am getting even more frustrated.
Figuring out and/or fixing this seemingly simple problem seems to be turning a molehill into a mountain. I will ask my cable company if they have any ideas. Thank you anyway.
electronicsguy
electronicsguy
electronicsguy, Engineer