Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a panasonic DMR-ES30V vcr and dvd player. Whenever we…

Customer Question
I have a panasonic...

I have a panasonic DMR-ES30V vcr and dvd player. Whenever we have a power outage the unit will not turn on. I have opened it up to check the capacitors and they are always fine. We have the unit plugged into a very high quality power surge suppressor strip, so have it protected, but it won't power back up.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?

Samsung HDTV flat screen tv and it doesn't have any power problems as it turns back on just fine.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

This is third time we have had a problem with the panasonic player. We got it to come back after days of leaving it unplugged. There was no rhyme or reason for it to all the sudden power back up. It just did after opening up the case and just looking... I did nothing.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Capacitors and fuse is fine... it just seems like it needs time, but was hoping for a better answer for a solution.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
10/2/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 10 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and on the described "...unit will not turn on...", is the DMR-ES30V completely/electrically dead?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

It will not turn on. This has happened three times before always after a power outage. I opened up the box and the capacitors are fine and the fuse is fine. I did nothing but look. After a time being unplugged, I plugged it back in and then it came back on. It happened a second time after a power outage and I left it unplugged for days. Nothing came back on trying several times. Then, it finally did. I bought an expensive high quality surge suppressor strip and have it plugged into it, but we had another power outage and it will not turn on again. Just simply no LED lights at all and power button does not work. I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in without avail. I tried it unplugged for four days, but it still will not turn back on.

Yes on the phone call soon as the system has cleared the "Status: ... failure"
Can you please check on your end?
...and contact Customer Service?

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?