Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

Pete, I just now got to the laser lens of my Toshiba DVD

Hi Pete,I just now got...
Hi Pete,I just now got to the laser lens of my Toshiba DVD Recorder. It took a little to figure it out, but I finally got it. I just hope it all falls back into place when I'm done. It should. I did like you suggested and took pictures every step of the way. That should help.So,now I'm here, what exactly do I use to clean the lens itself? I already blew some air in a can on it and around the area. But,I want to make sure I give it the best chance to work again by physically wipeing it clean. DoIuse a light nylon brush or micro-fiber cloth with as little alcohol? Or, do you have something else I should try instead?Thanks,
Roy
10/1/2017
Pete, Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Hi Roy, yes wiping the lens with a micro-fiber cloth lightly soaking in some alcohol is the best cleaning method.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Here I go.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Pete!Could you send another link to the Service Manual for this DVD Recorder. It's a Toshibe D-KR2SU DVD Recorder. The previous link you sent me washttp://wikisend.com/download/123426/dr2su.pdfI have it downloaded on my laptop but I won't have access to it for a few weeks.
I tried to use the link again but it tells me it's expired.
BTWthat looks like a great site. How do I sign up for access?I got to the laser lens, cleaned it, blew out the whole thing and got it back together.
But,when I powered it up I got an error code ER7071.
I don't have the top on it. Do ypou think that is the problem?

Hi again Roy! I was wondering how you were getting on with it!

The Wikisend site is used for sharing files, so I uploaded my copy of the manual to the site to share it with you. The download links expire after a short while.

Here is a new link: http://wikisend.com/download/631194/dr2su.pdf

The DVD recorder will operate fine without the top on it.

The error code ER7071 means "DVD Fault". It usually indicates a fault with the DVD drive itself, however it can also occur if the DVD drive is not reconnected correctly.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Have a good weekend.

Pete.

Pete, Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Pete?
I have to wait for a day or 2 to get back into workibng on the DVD Recorder. I had cataract surgery yesterday and need to take it easy like the doctor says. The first thing I guess I should check the connections I made while putting it back together and go from there. How fragile is the connector ribbon/tape that had to be disconnected to take the drive out? Is it very possible for the problem causing the error code to be a break in one of the tiny connections? Or would that generate a different code?
I guess this unit had already been refubished because the original tape holding the connector ribbons down to the drive body have been cut then clear tepe put back over them to make it look unaltered.
I'll give my rating now but I will let you know how it turns out or if I have another question in a few days.
Thanks again, my friend!
Pete, Engineer