Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Blu-Ray DVD Player Model BDP-BX38 that does not…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Blu-Ray DVD Player Model BDP-BX38 that does not power on. I tried all the fixes in the manual but into no avail. I heard there is a fuse ion the board that could be the problem. Can this be replaced? Thanks Joe

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

I gavwe you the model number above. Did you not receive it? The device is 6 years old but used seldomly.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

Nothing. I haven't used it in over a year. Recently I decided to play a dvd and I couldn't power it on.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, could this be a fuse issue?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
9/28/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Do you see any lights/display on it at all?

No
A HARDLY USED DVD PLAYER MODEL BDP-BX38 THAT DOESN'T POWER ON. I TRIED EVERYTHING IN THE MANUAL BUT TO NO AVAIL. IS THERE A FUSE ON THE BOARD THAT CAN BE REPLACED?
ARE YOU STILL THERE?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

There is no user serviceable parts inside here, and while there is a fuse as a component of the power supply, it is not user replaceable, it is not a quick change fuse it is a soldered in place fuse that was not meant to be exchanged and is really not even the most likely cause of the failure. Even if that fuse did blow, something else caused it so replacing the fuse is not necessarily a fix as the other damaged components inside will blow the new one too. The lack of even the display or power light does indicate internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. A typical service life for this type of consumer electronic device is about 3 years, regardless of actual usage levels.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs are not feasible for these. There are no parts available for them and labor alone would be 2-3 times the value of the system. You would be better off replacing it as you can get a brand new model with updated features and a fresh warranty for under $100. I can recommend some replacement options for you, if you'd like.

My apologies for the news,