Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Is it true that in order to continue using Roku I will need…

Customer Question
Is it true that...

Is it true that in order to continue using Roku I will need to pay a fee of $69.99 or $99.99 for a 5 year or 15 year (respectively) account?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

My device is several years (at least 7) and it is a Roky streaming stick.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

It did not pop up. I was trying to watch a rented streaming video through the Amazon Prime app and had problems. Amazon directed me to my TV mfg. (Vizio) who directed me to Roku. When I called the Roku number I spoke with someone who informed me of this new policy and said I should have received an email, which I did not.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

To be clear, you are connecting me here as part of a paid support service, meaning you have paid a fee for this technical consultation and advice, but this is not part of the roku service and is a one time help.

The answer is no, this is not true, there is no annual or other fee for roku service. The roku device is something you purchase once (though the roku box/stick will typically last 5 years or less before needing to be replaced). There are fees for different individual applications, such as a monthly netflix subscription or annual amazon prime subscription, but that would apply no matter how you watched those (roku, firetv, smart tv, etc).

If you can tel me a bit more about the amazon problem, and which model roku you have, I can help you get that issue fixed.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Technician