Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How to use roku without a satellite or cable box. I plugged…

Customer Question
How to use roku...

How to use roku without a satellite or cable box. I plugged in rocku via usb port to back of tv.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

Are you talking roku or tv?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

I just bought a tv for my travel trailer, which i live in, and plugged in roku to back of tv

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
9/19/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 9 months ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Let's back up a bit here- first- you do not need, nor would you want to use a cable box with a Roku. Now in order to tell you how to set this up, I need the following:

1) The full model number off off the back of the TV.

2) The model of the Roku (will be on the Roku box (Premiere, LS, 3500X, etc.).

3) What exactly do you see on your TV screen right now?

Please view my reply and send one back to proceed.

TV make: Element. Model number ELEFW195Roku MODEL 4630X
MESSAGE ON TV: NO MEDIA DEVICE
THE TV IS STAND ALONE WITHOUT AN ANTENNA
THE ROUTER IS ABOUT 200' AWAY ON HOME COMPUTER

Thanks for the reply. If your router is 200 feet away there is no chance the Roku will be able to connect too it. However that's a different issue than getting the Roku setup on the TV. To setup the Roku, you do NOT connect the USB to the TV. You connect the Roku to the TV using an HDMI cable- to the HDMI port on the TV. Then plug the USB cable into the charger that came included with the Roku. Then use the Element remote's Input or Source button to select HDMI. You would then see the Roku letters display on the TV screen. However this does not help the router being 200 feet from the Roku- that is going to be a problem.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?