Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Can I change my region code on my Magnavox DVD player model…

Customer Question
Can I change my...

Can I change my region code on my Magnavox DVD player model # DV220MWS?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

Magnavox Model DV220MW9 sorry for the mistake

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

First DVD that gave me a region error code

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

All others work

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
9/17/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Honestly, there isn't anything you can do in this case. The problem here is that the player is designed for and locked to a specific region while you're attempting to play a disc from another region. These region codes were set up by the movie studios to help prevent piracy, and there is no easy way around them. While you may see some “hacks” online, they are not applicable to all models, as most do not have the ability to be overridden by a software adjustment, including yours. For US market players, and especially for combo dvd/vcr units, it is virtually never possible to adapt them.

This region coding protocol is physically built into the hardware (chips on the control board) of the player, and changing it would require physical modifications to the player (swapping out chips) that would void the warranty and often permanently damage the player.

Your best options are to re-purchase the discs you want to play in your country with the proper region code, or buy a purpose made region-free player that does not have this hardware restriction.

I'm sorry there isn't a more optimistic answer here, it's simply a design limitation of the player.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Can I buy a DVD player that will play these movies?

Yes, you can purchase a multiregion (region free) player, here is one I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/2yhBjFx

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 10 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.