Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Electronics technician for install, troubleshooting, and repairs.
59725966

I have a Samsung smart TV which allows me to play YouTube

I have a Samsung smart TV which allows me to play YouTube videos on it. I'm trying to sing karaoke using YouTube. How do I connect a microphone (or two) to use the TV speakers as output?
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: TV is about five years old. Model is UN46D8000YF
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I've never been able to do this. Trying to do it for the first time
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My DVD player is also a Samsung.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

That would not be a possibility here.

While it may be possible to connect a mic to the tv, it wouldn't work well as the tv doesn't have sufficient ampliciation for that purpose, so you wouldn't hear much of anything. Even if you could though, you'd get the sound only, because you'd have to be set to the analog audio/video input, which would conflict with the youtube app, you can't use both at the same time.

What you'd have to do in this situation is to use a separate external amplifier with the microphones instead.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a Samsung sound bar connected with the TV. Would that be useful for karaoke purposes, or do I need to buy an amplifier? If so, what type of amplifier? Do you mean a speaker?

It could be possible, but then you would have to have the youtube music playing through the tv speakers and separate the microphone sound to come through the soundbar. Even then, the overall sound quality would be poor and the mic wont work well (insufficient amplification) through the soundbar.

What you would really want here would be a small PA/karaoke system. There are several small and inexpensive systems purpose built for this type of situation:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,