Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

If my router is pretty old and runs at 200 MB per second.

Customer Question
If my router is...

If my router is pretty old and runs at 200 MB per second. Can that be what is delaying all my Netflix and amazon streaming

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

I don't have it handy. It is at least 8 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

For about the last 2 months

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

What else can be the problem..... I don't have any useage at the point....the indicator just spins

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
9/15/2017
Electronics Technician: Dan T., Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician

Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help with your streaming problem.

Who is your internet service provider, and what download speed are you paying for?

Spectrum (Charter Communications) I don't know the download speed. I ran a capacity speed test and got 22.9 Mbps.

Did you use SpeedTest.net?

no, speedtest.net is not very accurate. I used the capacity test at http://www.mycooltools.com/. They are very accurate.

I apologize for my delay in responding.

22 Mbps is fine for streaming, as long as you don't have other devices using your bandwidth.

I recommend you open Netflix and search for >>this video<<. Stream it, and look in the corner of your screen. It'll show the bitrate and the resolution of the stream. A good stream for that video is 1080p resolution at about 3 Mbps. Then compare what your readings are to the chart >>here<< and see if there is a mismatch between what you're seeing and what Netflix thinks you should see. If there's a mismatch, call your ISP and let them know.

In short... no, I don't think your router is the problem. If you're paying for more than 22 Mbps (say, 50 or 100 Mbps) then it could be the router or even the modem. But start with the instructions above, then we'll move on if we need to...