Recorders and Players

Recorder Player Problems? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Recorders and Players

It seems i must remove the power every day when I turn on

Customer Question
the TCL ROKU TV. Once...
It seems i must remove the power every day when I turn on the TCL ROKU TV. Once it is on it works well. I have seen it restart itself on rare occasions. Is the power supply in the TV defective?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: TCL Roku 5132X
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It seems to have started 6 months ago with no event prior and it is getting harder to get the TV to come on every day.
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When powering on the screen comes on with the LOGO and then goes black. This might happen during several attemps to power up, then it finally goes to the input screen.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
9/11/2017
Electronics Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, have you tried unplugging the TV for an extended period of time? ...and then plugging it back in directly into a different outlet?
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

If i remove the power for 1 minute then re plugin the power it will usually come on and take me to the input/app screen. lately, within the last week or so, this does not always work unless I try several times. I have checked the update status and the TV is up to date. I see no way to force a firmware update.
I am wondering if the power supply may be failing. I have experienced this with several Roku devices.

Unplugging for an extended period of time would simulate a soft RESET and more importantly, dissipate residual power hence the longer the better.

Thereafter, plug back in but into a different outlet directly without any 'powerstrip'

The above would serve as tests.

If not corrective, then it would point to an internal hardware issue.

And yes, the power supply board would be the most likely suspect.

I have left the power unplugged overnight for the last several days. Thanks for confirming my diagnoses of the internal hardware.

I understand.

This would then confirm the internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter (and even perhaps a soldering iron)?

Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the "...internal circuit boards..." Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Louie, Technician