Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

On Friday and Saturday night when internet access is heavy,

Customer Question

On Friday and Saturday night when internet access is heavy, my Roku 2 device often cannot download movies. Instead it says "checking connection" and aborts the transmission. Last time this happened, I removed my Roku 2 device and installed my older Roku device. The movie downloaded successfully. Why won't my Roku 2 device work? What can I do?
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: model number is ***** I think I got it over a year ago as a gift for donating to KQED.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was an issue when I first tried to install it - so I returned to my older device. Probably about 8 months ago I started using the Roku 2 device. The "checking connection" message did not occur for awhile, but has recently started happening more and more over the last month.
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

This can happen at peak times when other users are using up the available bandwidth in your area.

To avoid this, you can use the Roku at off-peak times or upgrade to a faster internet package if one is available in your area.