Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I bought a Roku 2. my tv only has one HDMI spot which the

Customer Question

i bought a Roku 2. my tv only has one HDMI spot which the Direct TV is plugged in. How do i connect my Roku?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: sharp 32". Model: LC-32DV24U. Serial###-##-####JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just bought Roku today. TV has only ONE HDMI insert
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

On an older TV that only has one HDMI port (newer sets have multiple ports as it's more common now for multiple HDMI devices to be used), you have two options: 1) Disconnect the DirecTv box and plug the Roku 2 in each time you want to watch it. 2) Purchase an HDMI "switch box" that essentially gives your TV more ports. I would strongly recommend option 2 as it avoids having to disconnect wires each time you switch between watching DirecTv and the Roku 2.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm pulling up a link to the HDMI switch box now....

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You can purchase an HDMI switch at best Buy for $30 (at the link below). To connect it- simply run one HDMI cable from the "OUT" on the switch- to the TV. Then plug the DirecTv box into "IN 1" on the switch, and plug the Roku into "In 2" on the switch.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-3-port-hdmi-switch-black/2058023.p?skuId=2058023&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=711e3d4c-e2ed-4d8f-a838-f8a895f326d7&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg252604&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3MPNBRDjARIsAOYU6x_IuZMweVYfIiXHF7oIVS6Jf7fFb7PyG-YDk1TMF1QWA16xZtYjjsQaAgfyEALw_wcB

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further help here?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?