crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  10+ years
50836188

Have a Roku express plus am getting a Black and picture, The

Customer Question

Have a Roku express plus am getting a Black and white picture
JA: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: The Roku or tv?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I just bought the Roku and trying to install it
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Black and white picture using the Red, White and Yellow connections correct? If so, please get me the model number off of the back of the TV and I can tell you what to do.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
RCA 20F514TD
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am using the red blue and green connections.. They are the only ones that work at all.. But black and white
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hmm, okay, that's not what I expected. Please tell me specifically where you have those cables connected specifically on the TV as I don't believe this TV has red,blue,green component inputs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does.. The red cord is in the red hole under where it says component video.. White plug in blue hole, yellow plug in green hole
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You're not using the correct connections- plugging a yellow RCA composite video cable into a green component hole gives a black and white picture- so there's the issue, that won't work. So what exactly is wrong with the Red,White and Yellow MATCHING jacks on the TV??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing happens at all
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

With those connections the way they are now- you also don't have any sound. They're completely wrong. Red,White and Yellow MUST connect to matching Red,White and Yellow jacks. You can't mix and match component/composite signals. Nothing happens because the TV is not set to the correct Input. Do you know how to select the various Video Inputs on the TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I plug the cords into the correct colors on the front or the back and scroll through the inputs.. All say no signal
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Then something is wrong with your TV, as all that's required to connect the Roku is to use matching red,white and yellow cables into the same color jacks and then select the correct Input. The way you have the cables now will ONLY give you a black and white picture and no sound. There's no way to correct that issue, and since you said the TV doesn't work with standard RCA red, white and yellow inputs- then it indicates a defect in the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried using the SIDE MOUNTED AV jacks on the TV yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know what those are?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

They're another set of red,white and yellow jacks on the TV?? They MATCH the colors of the cables you're trying to connect. Can you see them??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried both the ones on the front of the tv and the back of the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Then you're in need of a new TV in order to use the Roku as the set's AV jacks are non-functional which indicates a hardware issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that is unhelpful
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

It's not within normal operation of the TV to not receive a signal from it's AV jacks, when the correct Input is selected. Since you stated that it's not use error, then the only thing it can be is your TV, and I am not able to change those facts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A waste of $26 though..
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You said you've already used all of the jacks I'm mentioning and already selected all of the Inputs and still get no signal, so this essentially means you've done everything correctly and are not getting a signal. I can only tell you the correct way to connect this- I cannot fix a malfunctioning TV from here. That is beyond my control. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

And much cheaper than face to face with a tech, who would charge $100 to come into your home and run through the same things we just did.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would never have done that anyway
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Regarding what you paid- I have not been paid a dime for working with you. You paid the site a deposit and I am only paid with a proper rating. However it seems you're unhappy with the outcome and therefore don't believe I should be credited for working with you.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Well I am out my time on this one, so I will opt out at this point.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 2 months ago.

I apologize that you had to wait for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The other technician felt it was a hardware issue and couldn't help me.. If you can give me a new idea..it would be welcome.

I have read over the previous chat and unfortunately, I do agree with the previous technician that it is a hardware issue. I understand that you are not happy with our answer but there are times where we have to deliver bad news.