Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Louie! I have a Panasonic NV-W1E VHS recorder that has

Customer Question
Hi Louie! I have a...
Hi Louie! I have a Panasonic NV-W1E VHS recorder that has suddenly began to stop after pressing play. I have opened it and notice that the take-up reel moves for a second or two and then stops so there is a slack on the tape. I can wind and rewind tapes even if winding is substantially slower than rewinding but in the winf position, the diameter of the cassette takeup reel is smaller due to the tape being on the other reel. I wonder what I can do to fix this on this particular model? I have experience from repairing technical stuff and the same basic education as radio, TV engineers and electricians.
I have some pics and a video of the VCR to post if necessary.
Best Regards
Sven
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
8/5/2017
Electronics Technician: Pete, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Pete, Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Check if the tape plays ok in a different VCR player.

If it does, then the tape is ok and the problem is with the Panasonic recorder - it may need some lubricating or a slight adjustment on the reel mechanism.

Hi Pete! I've tried several tapes with the same result. All tapes works fine in other players. I will need detailed instructions for lubricating and adjustments for this particular model as I haven't found a Service Manual to download. Do you have a SM in PDF-format to share?

I can't find any service manuals available for this Panasonic model however you could try just checking that all moving parts are able to move freely, and apply lubricant to all moving parts that you can see.

Hi Pete, I want to be transfered to an engineer that knows this model and can assist me. I already know about lubrication but need highly detailed support which is what I am paying for. As you can see from the pictures I have disassembled the VCR and located the cause. From there I'm not sure how to move forward and this is an expensive VCR model so I'm not prepared to guess my way forward.
Best Regards
Sven