Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a older model JVC 5 disc player and it will not open,

Customer Question
I have a older...

I have a older model JVC 5 disc player and it will not open , says tray error . It will not eject

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Stand by

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It is a CA-DX 121 model and been about three months I have not opened it and I have unplugged it etc. and nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Recorders and Players
8/3/2017
Electronics Technician: Nathan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Technician

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Thank you , I will notify you when I try the above. Thanks again

You're very welcome, and good luck!

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Thank you, I will have to take it to a stereo repair shop . I appreciate your help

You're very welcome!

I would advise, in general, against repairs though. This is an older (2008) model system that is about double its service life at this point, it isn't going to be worth fixing. There are no parts available for them and labor alone will cost more than you would spend to buy a brand new one. If you prefer to consider replacing, here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/2vokpWx or http://amzn.to/2fvM9Tm

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Technician