Recorders and Players

Recorder player problems? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have an RCA with DVD player,,,has always worked, last night…

Customer Question
Have an RCA with...

Have an RCA with DVD player,,,has always worked, last night put in a dvd movie to play....it keeps saying there is no disc..what to do now to fix?

Technician's Assistant: What RCA model do you have?

32" 26la30rqd

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your RCA media player?

Checked all conections, and put in player the movie, used different movie checked the imput etc...anyway to clean device since it is enclosed

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?

None i can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Recorders and Players
8/1/2017
Electronics Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

The issue you're having is due to the laser lens being either contaminated (dirty), or faulty (scratched or mis-aligned).
I would suggest first following the steps below to determine and attempt to cure the issue.
You can try several methods of cleaning the laser lens to see if it helps clear up the problem. The first is to purchase a CD/DVD laser lens cleaner disc, and run it through the system several times.
If your player is not reading any discs at all though, then try purchasing a can of compressed air (available at PC or AV retailers). Insert the tip of the spray can into the disc slot and then liberally spray the can into the opening of the disc drawer to remove any dirt/debris/etc.

If that does not work then it indicates the DVD drive has failed (which is not uncommon in these TV/DVD combo units), and would need to be replaced. If you're a DIY type then the entire rear of the set would need to be removed and then the DVD player extracted from the unit (not typically for the first timer, or faint of heart). In that case the DVD drive can be purchased at the link below for under $20 for your set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-26LA30RQD-DVD-PLAYER-RE5119C097-/282281907180?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Alternatively to have a shop perform this repair is somewhat cost-prohibitive at an average of $200 parts and labor (and the set could be replaced for that amount).

What I would suggest as a cost effective workaround is to purchase a separate DVD player (around $25 at Wal mart) and plug it into the TV's AV jacks and simply workaround the built in player to be able to continue to view DVD's on this set.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?