Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Sansui Turntable Model # FR-D45 That has not been

Customer Question

I have a Sansui Turntable Model # FR-D45 That has not been used for about 10 years. I turned it on and I can get the turntable to spin but It wont keep running?
JA: How old is your FR-D45?
Customer: IM not sure
JA: What have you tried so far with your FR-D45?
Customer: Like I said I can get the table to spin but it seems like the computer is not working properly
JA: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Recorders and Players
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also the tonearm will not go up/down using the button on the front of the unit. I do get sound out of the speakers but since it wont keep spinning I cant play an album.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The turntable will need to be serviced after 10 years of non-use.

Are you planning on carrying out the repairs yourself, or are you looking for a repairer in your area?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I was hoping I could do it myself. Do you have any idea what it would cost to have it services?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had to get off my phone my battery is low, and I don't have my charger with me. on my friends laptop now!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pete are you still there??
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I've been looking at what might be involved in this.
Can you try removing any old hardened grease and replace it with soft fresh grease?
If that doesn't help, check the voltage for the motor and let me know what it is reading?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay, here is the updated situation, I have got the turntable rotating on its own right now. But what I'm running into is that when I move the tonearm off of its resting stand and above the album the computer on lite starts flashing and then approx. 10 sec. later its stop turning?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also the button that raises and lowers the tonearm is not working. the computer lite comes on "flashing" but it does not raise or lower the tonearm?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I have the turntable running on its own I have changed the speed from 33 to 45 using the button on the front of the unit and I can see the turntable speeding up and slowing down accordingly, So that at least seems to be working properly. I wish there was some way I could reboot or make the computer go thru its functions one at time to make the work or resink them if that's the possible problem???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This Turntable hooks up to the Amplifier using a 2 connector (right/left) RCA Analog input cable.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Pete, I'm going to call it a nite and get some sleep. if you find any information that you think can help me get this thing working properly send me an email.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You will need to check the counterbalance on the tone-arm, it may need adjusting.