Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Sony RDR-VX525 Video Cassette Recorder/DVD Recorder

I have a Sony RDR-VX525 Video Cassette Recorder/DVD Recorder which fails to dub a VHS tape to DVD. It will play DVDs and VHS tape just fine. I have faithfully followed the instructions on page 84 of the manual and it appears to be recording (dubbing) but does not. The tape(s) I have tried to dub are ones I recorded from non-commercial sources and are not copy protected or copywrighted.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Not certain of the age (10+ years). Model in previous paragraph.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have not used the recording or dubbing function for a year or more. I have tried several speeds of DVDs, DVD-R and DVD+R, different VHS tapes. I have reset the device to factory specs, repeated the Setup function and every thing I can think of.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was successful in dubbing one tape I had recorded off the air. I was able to "Finalize" it and it plays in other DVD players. I have not been able to repeat that success with any other tape.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

There is a chance that the recorder unit may be defective or that you aren't doing something right or are using bad media.

However, these Sony recorders are infamous for NOT recording from VHS to DVD.

Even if it's a homemade tape you may not be able to record it because defects in the recording may cause the DVD recorder to think it's a protected tape and therefore will refuse to record it.
As Sony has its tentacles in the audio recording and motion picture industry as well as electronics, they are very over-protective and over-sensitive to copying. So Sony electronics are always less useful than those made by other companies because the media half forces the electronics half to make them not work when you want to copy.

--------------------
I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I may have stumbled upon the problem.
I have successfully dubbed my VHS tape to a DVD+R 4x.When I put a DVD-R disk in the machine, it will not allow me to choose a Disk Setting menu, Disk Format of Video Mode. It only offers VR mode.Could this be the problem?

Yes, the type of disk being used could be a problem.

Could you try a different disk brand or speed type?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried Fuji, Kodak, Memorex and Gigaware DVD-R 4x & 16x disks. The TDK DVD+R 4x is the only format that has been successful.

Ok, can you try more of those then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pete,
Sorry, I tried the DVD+R from a completely reset machine and it wrote on the disk but would not Finalize it and would not load it to play in the same machine that recorded it. I think the record function on this machine is defective. I give up on trying to dub on this machine. I purchased an Diamond VC500 USB Video Capture One Touch and it worked so I will use it in the future. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Ok,

Let me know if you need anything else at all.

best,

Pete.